I was lucky enough to attend a talk by Thomas Moore in Findhorn last week - he teaches about what he calls the Care of the Soul. He got me thinking more about what I love, what nurtures me and how important it is to focus on that, especially at this stage of my life when I spend so much time with my lovely little people, who are adorable and also exhausting!
So I thought I would make a list. Here's how it stands at the moment - these are the things I love and try to do or surround myself with as often as possible:
1. Always having flowers around, even if it is just one we cut from the garden and put into our tiny vases on the table
2. Singing (especially when cleaning and washing up!)
3. My weekly zumba session with my sister, Lizzie - desperately trying to keep up with Craig, our hilariously bubbly teacher and laughing a lot
4. Colour - clothes, wallpaint, scarves all nurture me. Pink is definitely my favourite and I just bought myself an Autumn treat of a burgundy scarf with orange deer print. Sounds odd but it is beautiful and cheers me up every day as summer slowly slips away.
5. Reading a good book (slowly but surely) - at the moment I am reading the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula LeGuin and I LOVE it.
6. Great conversations - especially about spiritual matters - with close friends and my lovely family
7. Delicious food (thank goodness Robert loves cooking for me)
8. Going off on mini adventures on my own with no particular goal while someone looks after Bo & Christopher for a couple of hours.
9. Sitting quietly and appreciating the people I love - you can't beat a few moments of gratitude to fill you up...
10. Lots of hugging, snuggling and kissing with whoever in the house will let me
I am always looking for more ideas - please share the ways your nurture yourself each day in the comments... What do you love?