Thursday 9 January 2014

Healthy, delicious, gluten-free, sugar-free sweet potato Paleo Brownies

I am very excited as I have finally managed to master healthy brownies. They are so delicious and super healthy.

I didn't get the best picture as we kind of ate most of it before I managed to find my phone to capture it. But this one says it all for me - if Bo is happy with them, they must be good.



And it is so simple.

Brownies:

You just get a bowl and mix in these ingredients:

1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
2 large eggs
1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 TBSP bicarb of soda
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use raw cacao)
2 TBSP coconut flour

Mix together and bake in approx 8x8 inch tin (greased with coconut oil) at 190 degrees C or 365 degrees F for 25-30 minutes - until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre but leave them moist - don't overcook or they go a bit dry and not so good.

While it is in the oven, make the frosting.

Frosting:

You will need the following ingredients:

1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup coconut oil

Melt these two together on low heat in a pan, then add:

1 TBSP vanilla extract

Then whip up until it fluffs, although ours didn't and it was delicious anyway. If you leave it for a while it hardens up a bit and is even nicer.

Scoop frosting on top of cooled brownies and serve with berries - we had strawberries but raspberries or blueberries would definitely work well too. Try not to eat all in one go (good luck with that).


2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly,
    I'd like to try your recipe, but need a bit of clarification. Different countries refer to different vegetables as sweet potatoes. So, do you mean the ones that are bright orange inside (yams in Canada, sweet potatoes in the US), or do you mean the ones that are pale yellow inside (sweet potatoes in Canada, yams in the US.) ?
    Also, do you use virgin coconut oil (that tastes like coconut?) or the processed one that has a neutral taste?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elsa I used the orange-inside 'sweet potato' but you can use either I think. I just use virgin coconut oil - because I am happy to have a bit of coconut flavour going on especially in combo with chocolate. I'm sure you could use either. Hope that helps! x

    ReplyDelete