I have been experimenting with raw chocolate recipes recently and I have just found the one that, for me, is the ultimate combo... And brings so much guilt-free joy to me and my friends (and my four-year-old son!) that I am writing it down so that I can share a link rather than keep writing out the recipe....
These raw salted caramel chocolates turn out like this:
And taste seriously satisfying. And leave you feeling highly impressed with yourself.
I have combined two recipes to make the layers from experienced chocolate people. I will share the links at the end. I am really writing this out for all the friends who want to make these after they taste them at my house so I am going to write out the recipes for ease here.
So first of all, prepare the chocolate as follows:
1 cup grated cacao butter
Half cup raw cacao powder
1/3 cup maple syrup
1. Melt the grated cacao butter by placing glass or ceramic bowl into hot water on the hob.
2. Once it is melted fully, stir in and then whisk the cacao powder and the maple syrup.
3. Once it is fully smooth, do your best not to eat the whole lot and instead, fill the bottom third of the mould shapes.
** if you don't have a mould, this works just as well on some parchment paper in a flat container with layers too. It ends up just a layered flat piece of chocolate and you can break it up roughly and store the pieces.
4. Place in the freezer until the mixture hardens.
Meanwhile, make the salted caramel mix.
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 pinch salt
5. Mix all above ingredients in a bowl. No heat required - only to melt coconut oil if necessary.
6. Pour in caramel mix into the moulds up to 2/3 full.
7. Place mould back in the freezer.
8. Once caramel has solidified, take out again and fill to the top with the remaining chocolate mix.
9. Place all back in the freezer until totally solid. Approx half an hour is fine.
10. Remove from mould and store in a container that you can keep in the freezer (if the chocolates last long enough for you to have to store any.)
I am no chocolate expert - I have simply experimented and blended these recipes together. You can find the original recipes and lots more information and good stuff here:
Salted caramel mix:
http://www.thegreengoddesslife.com/make-your-own-raw-chocolate/ (Mel, the Green Goddess - she has so much great stuff on her site and page.)