Monday 12 August 2013

Pray. Love. Eat.



I don’t know about anyone else but I tend to be an all-or-nothing person. Either I love something and can embrace it fully or just can’t muster up any energy at all to put towards things.

In a way, this has served me quite well. I have never been able to get stuck in a job I hate for 10 years. (Members of my family, you have permission to laugh as you reflect on my inability to hold down a normal job pretty much ever or even attend an interview.)

BUT you should see the non-filing system I have hidden behind a chair and covered with a blanket in my room…

And over the last few months I have made a very big commitment to myself on the physical level, in other words, I have committed to looking after my body properly. It is an ‘all-in’ decision.

This is no small thing and, honestly, I have tried (and slipped) more times than I remember in the past to do this.

And I am doing so, so well with it. For the first time I have fully cut out the foods that do not serve me and I am feeling so much better and shedding weight that feels so good to let go of.  I am really doing it!

The process of doing this is teaching me this one very important thing:

To do big things, we have to focus on one tiny moment at a time. And ask for help as we do it.

We can’t focus on the enormity of the task ahead. And we can't do it alone.

I can’t think ‘I am about to embark on an entire lifetime of no sugar or gluten’ – I have to think very, very small.

‘In this moment, right now, I am going to breathe as I choose what I am going to eat and I am going to make one loving choice for myself.’

And those moments are now adding up into something BIG for me. But I have to keep my thinking small.

Here is my method:

1. Breathe (and pray for help) 
2. Choose to love myself - right now, just for this one, tiny moment
3. Eat




No comments:

Post a Comment