Sunday 15 September 2013

Super Healthy Heavenly Pancakes

Facts about me and food:

1. I am not a very good cook but I enjoy trying because I love food so much.

2. Healthy food is a big priority for me and eating delicious food is one of my greatest joys. Finding the balance between healthy and yummy is a constant mission for me.

3. Producing healthy, enjoyable food all day long for all of us is one of the hardest aspects of being a parent for me. Scrambled egg in pitta breads for dinner again anyone??

4. I am extremely grateful that my husband can really cook. I even gave him cooking lessons two years in a row for his Christmas present. The ultimate gift of all time - one that keeps on giving (to me).

5. I think about food approximately 80% of the time.


So... these pancakes are my new most favourite and wonderful thing. I am off to my mum's house for the day with the children in a moment and I have packed all necessary ingredients into a bag so that I can eat a big pile when I get there.

Very rarely do I come across recipes I really want to share but this is one of them.

We have been attempting gluten-free living (usually I settle for 80-90% of anything as I'm sure some slips in and I can't keep up with it completely!) and the thing I was really missing was my pancakes.

So I got researching (and made a lot of crumbly, weird pancakes in the process) and finally came across this super high protein, gluten-free, easy-peasy (a must for me) mixture.

So simple.


INGREDIENTS:

2 bananas (purée first in blender or mash wish fork if mixing by hand)

Then throw in:

3-4 eggs (I use 4 as it makes it a bit runnier and therefore easier)
3 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
Pinch salt

Blend all together until smooth - either in blender or a bowl. Heat up butter or coconut oil in the pan. Make small pancakes (you can make 2-3 at a time and pile them up to eat).

Turn them over carefully as they are not like usual pancakes and require a little more care and patience than usual....

Top with slices of banana or berries and a drizzle of maple syrup.

(And repeat, pretty much every morning.)

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! I look forward to trying the pancakes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete